Research Specialist III
Job #: 2014-53
TWC Job #: 2770842
Opening Date: 07/23/14
Closing Date: Until Closed
Travel Required: N/A
Monthly Salary: *$3,451.33 - $4,279.47
Position Location: State Insurance Annex, 221 East 11th Street
Group Step: B19
*Salary Commensurate With Experience
The Research Specialist III position works within the Office of the Governor, Economic Development and Tourism Division (EDT) reporting to the Business Research Manager. Performs complex (journey-level) research work. The Research Specialist analyzes and interprets economic and industry data in order to market the State of Texas to prospective businesses. The Research Specialist is expected to develop new, data-driven publications and web content, as well as work collaboratively within the various units of EDT to assist state marketing efforts. The Research Specialist also provides assistance to local economic development partners and the general public. Works under limited supervision, with moderate latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
- Collects, compiles, and analyzes national and state economic data for use in publications and marketing materials.
- Provides expert analysis of key state industries such as advanced manufacturing, biotechnology, energy, chemicals, aerospace, information technology, logistics, and more.
- Designs and writes innovative publications relating to the state economy for website content and print materials.
- Responds to technical information requests from within and outside the Office of the Governor, including conducting independent research to satisfy such requests.
- Provides explanations of state business incentives and tax structure to third parties.
- Assists in research related to the Texas Enterprise Fund and Texas Emerging Technology Fund Programs, including analysis of business and financial data.
- Maintains and analyzes databases (both spreadsheets and relational databases) to track and assess internal program data and international business data.
- Represents the Office of the Governor at meetings and events.
- Provides technical assistance to other EDT and Office of the Governor teams.
- Remains informed on economic and business trends, state economic development policies, and data sources from agencies such as the TWC, US Bureau of the Census, US BEA, and US BLS.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a degree in economics, business, political science, urban planning, geography, or related field. Plus two (2) years of related experience in a field specifically relevant to posted duties preferred. Must demonstrate verbal, written, organizational, and planning skills, as well as strong quantitative analysis skills in order to develop and prepare research projects. The assigned duties require superior interpersonal skills to establish and maintain effective working relationships within and outside the agency.
To apply, you may download the uniform State Employment Application or request an application from the Office of the Governor Human Resources Division, State Insurance Building, 1100 San Jacinto, Room 2.300, Austin, Texas, 78701. If required in this posting, copies of college transcripts must be provided concurrent with application for further applicant consideration. For additional information, please call 512- 463-5873, or visit our agency's website. Dial 7-1-1 for Relay Services.
The Office of the Governor is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 requires all new employees to present proof of eligibility to work in the United States within three (3) days of being hired. The Office of the Governor participates in E-Verify and will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
- E-Verify Participation Poster (English)
- E-Verify Participation Poster (Spanish)
- Right to Work Poster (English)
- Right to Work Poster (Spanish)
Male candidates between 18 and 25 years of age are required to show proof of Selective Service registration (or exemption) prior to an offer of employment being extended. Such proof is not required to be filed with an application but must be provided upon request by the Human Resources office. For additional information pertaining to Selective Service registration, you may visit: http://www.sss.gov/
Notice to Applicants Who May Require Reasonable Accommodation in the Interview Process:
Applicants with disabilities who may need to discuss special accommodations during the interview process should contact 512-463-5873 and ask to speak to the Office of the Governor's Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) Coordinator in the Human Resources Department. If reasonably possible, please call at least 48 hours in advance to afford our representative and the hiring division sufficient time to properly review and coordinate your request.