Marketing Specialist I
Job #: 2015-10
TWC Job #: 5012951
Opening Date: 11/03/2014
Closing Date: Until Closed
Travel Required: 10%
Monthly Salary: *$2,748.00 -$3,500.00
Position Location: State Insurance Annex, 221 East 11th Street
Group Step: B15
*Salary Commensurate With Experience
Position resides within the Office of the Governor, Economic Development & Tourism Division. Assists with public outreach and marketing activities, including development of marketing materials for target audiences. Performs administrative, informational and educational work. Promotion through public social media platforms. Work involves assisting with writing, editing, event planning and public relations to convey agency and departmental information to various groups. Works under supervision with some latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
- Collaborates with marketing team to implement the division-marketing plan.
- Conducts and assists with production of marketing materials to promote Texas as a business recruitment location and for Texas Business Development activities. Apply writing and communications principals and pre-press standards for materials produced in-house.
- Performs special projects regarding marketing and communications to promote the Texas Business Development activities, and works with other sections to promote agency programs and services.
- Creates, develops, and organizes ideas and concepts into a wide variety of marketing strategies.
- Coordinates printing or duplication of materials with internal and external printing, duplication, and distribution facilities.
- Develops and assists with maintaining website publications and marketing databases.
- Coordinates Texas Economic Development board reports and materials.
- Assists with tradeshow coordination including contracts, exhibits, graphics, shipments and fulfillment.
- Creates and edits correspondence and other copy.
- May represent the division at various functions.
- Knowledge of all aspects of social media platforms, ability to provide appropriate content, and inception and execution of successful campaigns including twitter, facebook, linked in, google plus
- Exemplifies professional writing abilities, published material a plus, please provide writing sample
- Develops customer relationships by identifying and developing business opportunities for marketing.
- Find and evaluate outreach markets.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a degree in journalism, public relations, marketing, communications or communications-related field plus two (2) years of progressively responsible professional experience in marketing or public relations preferred. Experience and education may be substituted for one another on a year-for-year basis. Six (6) years of progressively responsible experience required with no degree.
- Knowledge of best practices for event coordination, press releases and professional printing and duplication.
- Knowledge of personal computers and PC software applications, including intermediate to advanced knowledge of professional tools within Adobe CS4, Adobe Acrobat, and Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Power Point, etc.). HTML experience a plus.
- Knowledge of local, state, and federal laws and regulations relevant to program areas and of the principles and practices of public administration and management.
- Skill in writing and producing documents for marketing and industry publications
- Skill in creating professional presentations, spreadsheets and documents related to division goals.
- Skill in verbal and written communication.
- Skill in attention to detail and accuracy.
- Skill in proofing and editing.
- Ability to attend meetings and conduct interviews.
- Ability to meet multiple deadlines and manage several projects at a time.
- Ability to identify problems, evaluate alternatives, and implement effective solutions.
- Ability to develop and evaluate policies and procedures.
- Ability to communicate effectively to convey complex ideas and concepts.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships within and outside the agency.
- Ability to travel approximately 10% of the time to represent the agency at various functions.
To apply, you may download the uniform State Employment Application or request an application from the Office of the Governor Human Resources Division, State Insurance Building, 1100 San Jacinto, Room 2.300, Austin, Texas, 78701. If required in this posting, copies of college transcripts must be provided concurrent with application for further applicant consideration. For additional information, please call 512- 463-5873, or visit our agency's website. Dial 7-1-1 for Relay Services.
The Office of the Governor is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 requires all new employees to present proof of eligibility to work in the United States within three (3) days of being hired. The Office of the Governor participates in E-Verify and will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. Candidates selected for interviews will be subject to background check and required to complete authorization form.
- E-Verify Participation Poster (English)
- E-Verify Participation Poster (Spanish)
- Right to Work Poster (English)
- Right to Work Poster (Spanish)
Male candidates between 18 and 25 years of age are required to show proof of Selective Service registration (or exemption) prior to an offer of employment being extended. Such proof is not required to be filed with an application but must be provided upon request by the Human Resources office. For additional information pertaining to Selective Service registration, you may visit: http://www.sss.gov/
Notice to Applicants Who May Require Reasonable Accommodation in the Interview Process:
Applicants with disabilities who may need to discuss special accommodations during the interview process should contact 512-463-5873 and ask to speak to the Office of the Governor's Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) Coordinator in the Human Resources Department. If reasonably possible, please call at least 48 hours in advance to afford our representative and the hiring division sufficient time to properly review and coordinate your request.