- Sunday, March 09, 2014 Austin, Texas EditorialTexas is Home to A Vibrant Creative Culture
Some people like to say this is the time of year when creative folks converge on Texas. I say, they’re here all the time. Granted, the numbers increase a bit for SXSW, Austin’s annual technology, film and music conference. But historically, Texas has always been home to people with innovative spirits and unique talents.
- Friday, March 07, 2014 Austin, Texas Press ReleaseStatement by Gov. Perry on Texas’ Job Numbers
Every day, more Texans are going to work, earning a living and supporting their families because we follow a simple recipe for job creation: we keep our taxes low, our regulations effective and predictable, our courts fair and our schools accountable. That’s why Texas has been the national epicenter for job creation for more than a decade, and today’s numbers indicate we’re not slowing down anytime soon. While Washington is unable to significantly move the needle on unemployment, in Texas we free job creators to pursue success, which means more good-paying jobs for more Texans.
- Monday, March 03, 2014 Austin, Texas Press ReleaseTexas Wins Site Selection Magazine’s 2013 Governor’s Cup
Texas has won Site Selection Magazine’s Governor’s Cup for 2013, the fifth time the Lone Star State has received the award under Gov. Rick Perry’s leadership. The award is given annually to the state with the most new and expanded corporate facilities announced over the year. Texas has previously won the Governor’s Cup in 2004, 2005, 2010 and 2012.
- Friday, February 28, 2014 Austin, Texas NoteworthyTexans Shine in Sochi Olympics
Texas sent four of its sons to Sochi for the XXII Olympic Winter Games, with one bringing silver back to the Lone Star State. Speed skater Jordan Malone of Denton took silver as part of the U.S.'s 5000-meter short track relay team. While the team came up just short to host team Russia, their silver helped the U.S. avoid being shut out for a speed skating medal for the first time since 1998. Malone had also won bronze in the same event in Vancouver in 2010. A teammate of Malone's, Jonathan Garcia of Katy, reached Sochi by posting a career-best time in the 1000-meter relay.
- Thursday, February 27, 2014 Austin, Texas Press ReleaseGov. Perry Declares February 27 Texas Human Trafficking Awareness Day
Gov. Rick Perry today proclaimed February 27 as Human Trafficking Awareness Day in Texas as a commitment to bringing awareness to human trafficking prevention efforts.
- Wednesday, February 26, 2014 Austin, Texas Press ReleaseGov. Perry Statement on Same-Sex Marriage Ruling
Texans spoke loud and clear by overwhelmingly voting to define marriage as a union between a man and a woman in our Constitution, and it is not the role of the federal government to overturn the will of our citizens. The 10th Amendment guarantees Texas voters the freedom to make these decisions, and this is yet another attempt to achieve via the courts what couldn’t be achieved at the ballot box. We will continue to fight for the rights of Texans to self-determine the laws of our state.
- Friday, February 14, 2014 Austin, Texas Press ReleaseStatement by Gov. Perry Regarding President Obama’s Comments about Obamacare and Texas
Obamacare has been a complete failure. Rather than pointing fingers, President Obama should scrap his failed system and give states the flexibility they need to ensure people have long-term access to quality care. Medicaid is a broken system -- a fact President Obama has conceded in the past -- and pouring millions more people into a system that's already creaking from the strain is far from a long-term solution.