Texas Disability Law - Service Dogs
- Requires public facilities and common transportation carriers to admit a person with a disability accompanied by a service dog for assistance and also to admit a trainer of service dogs accompanied by a dog for training purposes.
- Requires evacuation, transport and temporary shelter of service animals in a disaster.
- Provides a criminal penalty for those who deny access to people with disabilities because of an assistance animal. Offenses are punishable by fines of not less than $300 and not more than $1,000.
- Provides full and equal access to housing accommodations for people with disabilities with assistance animals.
- Provides that people with disabilities may not be charged extra compensation for assistance animals, however, any damages caused by an assistance animal are the responsibility of the person with a disability using the animal.
- Provides that assistance animals must be trained by organizations generally recognized as reputable and competent by agencies involved in rehabilitation of people with disabilities.
- State employees may obtain up to ten days of paid leave to attend a training program to familiarize themselves with an assistance dog.
- Provides protection if an assistance animal is attacked, injured or killed by an individual or an individual's animal.
Texas Human Resources Code, Section 121.003 - 121.006
- Assistance Animal Defined:
Texas Human Resources Code, Section 121.002
Texas Government Code, Section 418.043
- Protection Against Attack:
Texas Human Resources Code, Section 121.003(j)
Texas Penal Code, Chapter 42, Section 42.091
- State Employees:
Texas Government Code, Section 661.910
- Service Dog Law Related to Veterans with PTSD
Veterans and Bootz's Law Video
Contact local law enforcement agencies to report violations of this law.
For information about training organizations contact:
Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services (DARS)
- ADA Business BRIEF: Service Animals
Americans with Disabilities Act:
U.S. Department of Justice
(800) 514-0301; (800) 514-0383 (TTY)
- Fair Housing Act of 1988:
U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
800) 669-9777 or (202) 708-1112; (202)-708-1455 (TTY)
- Department of Transportation
(800) 778-4838 (voice) or (800) 455-9880 (TTY)
Guidance regarding Service Animals in Air Travel
- Service Animals in Health Care Facilities